This is a guide to make changes to the HP ProLiant N54l Microserver BIOS to enable Hot-Swapping of drives and enable the motherboard (5th) SATA port to run at full speed. Before following this guide, you’ll need modified BIOS on your N54l, to carry this out see THIS post.
Assuming that you now have modified BIOS, turn on the server and go into BIOS.
- From the main screen go to ‘Chipset > Southbridge Configuration > SB SATA Configuration’ and make sure your settings are the same as below:
- OnChip SATA Channel = Enabled
- OnChip IDE Type = IDE
- SATA IDE Combined Mode = Disabled
- SATA EPS on all PORT = Enabled
- SATA Power on all PORT = Enabled
- Return to the main screen then go to ‘Advanced > IDE Configuration’ and again, make sure your settings are the same as below.
- Embedded SATA Link Rate = 3.0Gbps MAX
That’s it! save any changes you made and let the machine boot. Drives should now be hot-swappable (useful if you’re going to employ software RAID). Additionally, the on board SATA connector can now be used by a hard drive.
The next post I’ll write will be on how I’ve set up a 9Tb software RAID5 using mdadm and 4x3Tb hard drives.